Thinking Of Remodeling?

If you are thinking of renovating your bathroom or kitchen, building a deck, putting up a new fence or other home improvements, you will need to know which permits are required. Call the Building Department at (201) 794-5307 for assistance. The Building Department will also determine if Zoning Approval is needed, explain what kind of documentation should be provided with your application and help to streamline the process of applying for a permit. Please remember when submitting applications, to allow ample time for both Zoning and Building review, and plan accordingly when scheduling your project start date.

Building Permits are required for water heater, boiler or furnace replacements, interior alterations, steps, roofing, siding, chimney relining, decks, sheds, fences, additions, above or in-ground swimming pools, etc. When applying for outside projects such as decks, sheds, fences, additions, pools, etc., you will need to bring a copy of your property survey in addition to your permit applications.

Zoning permits are required for sheds, fences, patios, replacement or widening of driveways, etc. Zoning approval is required for the placement of Temporary Storage Units during construction projects, or prior to moving and for the removal of any tree. Please bring a copy of your survey to apply for these items. For zoning information please call (201) 794-5308 or (201) 703-4255.

The Borough requires a Certificate of Continued Occupancy on all re-sales of one and two family homes, townhomes and condos, prior to closing. The applications are available at the Building Department.

Last Updated: Tue, 03/19/2019 - 12:12pm